- Sharing Our May 3rd ConstitutionPosted 5 days ago
- Book Expo To Feature PolandPosted 5 days ago
- The Flipped ClassroomPosted 1 week ago
- How Ukraine Can ContributePosted 3 weeks ago
- Polish Singers 65th ConventionPosted 3 weeks ago
- Two Different Polands?Posted 4 weeks ago
- Check out the latest “Student Voice”Posted 2 months ago
- Book Authored By Polish Holocaust SurvivorPosted 6 months ago
Vatican Embassy Move Pure Politics
(November 26, 2013) – Bill Donohue comments on the desire of the Obama administration to move the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See to the American Embassy in Italy:
There are principled reasons why some might say that the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See should be moved, such as safety concerns and economic issues. But when these reasons are being promoted by an administration that stood by and did nothing about the fatalities at the American facility in Benghazi—and to this day refuses to provide a full account—it strains credulity to believe that safety is their real interest. Moreover, no administration in American history has been more fiscally reckless than the Obama administration, making it risible to suggest that all of a sudden they have discovered austerity.
Former U.S. Ambassadors to the Holy See, James Nicholson, Mary Ann Glendon, Thomas Melady, Francis Rooney and Raymond Flynn are right to sound the alarms; the net effect of this move is to diminish the prestige of the Holy See. Flynn is also right to see in this gambit an animus against the Catholic Church. Which only goes to show how thoroughly consistent this administration is in its dealings with all matters Catholic.
The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights
450 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10123
Phone: 212-371-3191 • Fax: 212-371-3394