- Philadelphia Pulaski Day ParadePosted 1 day ago
- Clinton Staff Bigotry Mostly IgnoredPosted 6 days ago
- Check Out October Horoscope!Posted 2 weeks ago
- Post-Communist or Truly Free Poland?Posted 2 weeks ago
- Yahoo Playing Games With CatholicsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Rabid Raccoon Alert In CliftonPosted 3 weeks ago
- Donald Trump’s Speech To P.A.C.Posted 3 weeks ago
- KF President ResignsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Polish American Congress And PolandPosted 2 months ago
- Centennial Committee Sponsors Historical TripPosted 4 months ago
U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Public Prayer
PLANO, Texas, May 5, 2014 – Today, Liberty Institute applauds the United States Supreme Court’s 5-4 ruling reaffirming the constitutionality of prayer before governmental meetings. As a result of the High Court’s decision, the practice of praying before governmental meetings that began even before the opening prayer of the First U.S. Congress will continue uncensored and uninterrupted in states, cities, and towns throughout the nation. A copy of the Supreme Court ruling is available on the Liberty Institute website at: http://www.libertyinstitute.org/file/Galloway.pdf
“We are thankful that the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the constitutionality of the practice of opening governmental meetings in prayer, as our founders did over 200 years ago,” said Kelly Shackelford, President and CEO of Liberty Institute. “Saying prayers at governmental meetings will remain uninterrupted and uncensored as intended by our Founders and required by the First Amendment.”
This past year, Liberty Institute filed a brief in Galloway v. Town of Greece, on behalf of several distinguished theologians and scholars, supporting a request for the High Court to rule in favor of the constitutionality of legislative prayer.
Liberty Institute General Counsel Jeff Mateer said, “In today’s decision, the Supreme Court made it clear that Americans have every right under the First Amendment to pray publicly before governmental meetings in whichever way they so choose—and without censorship. As a result, states, cities, and towns all across America may continue their practice of opening their governmental meetings with prayer.”
About Liberty Institute Liberty Institute is a nonprofit legal group dedicated to restoring and defending religious liberty across America – in our schools, for our churches, and throughout the public arena. Liberty Institute’s vision is to reestablish liberty in accordance with the principles of our nation’s founders. Visit www.LibertyInstitute.org for more information.