- Proper Funding for Clifton SchoolsPosted 6 days ago
- Stealing The MarchPosted 3 weeks ago
- Check Out April Horoscope!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Clifton Centennial Events Update!Posted 4 weeks ago
- Clifton Centennial T-Shirts!Posted 1 month ago
- 2017 – Year of KosciuszkoPosted 3 months ago
- Clifton Centennial Events!Posted 3 months ago
- Truth About German Nazi CampsPosted 3 months ago
- Nothing’s Impossible Says WisniewskiPosted 5 months ago
- First Ever English Language PodcastPosted 10 months ago
Steps To Keep Safe And Warm
During Cold Winter Weather
With extremely cold winter weather on its way again tonight, we need to be prepared for the frigid temperatures. If your home or business uses propane to generate heat or run appliances, the Propane Gas Association of New England provides these tips to keep your family safe and warm.
• Make sure you have an adequate propane supply. During and after a winter storm, roads may be inaccessible for delivery. It is recommended that you establish a regular delivery schedule with your propane retailer.
• Make sure your heating system and appliances are running efficiently. Have a qualified service technician annually inspect and service your appliances and propane system. This will ensure that your appliances are running as efficiently as possible, conserving fuel and saving dollars.
• Mark the location of your tank with a flag, pole, or stake. The marker should be higher than the average snow cover depth for your location. It will help you avoid plowing or shoveling rooftop snow on top of your tank. Should your tank become covered with snow, use a broom to clear it.
• Check your chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and propane tank for damage, blockage, or debris caused by snow and ice. Use a broom rather than a shovel, and clear these areas frequently. This will help reduce the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning due to blocked or damaged chimneys, flues, and vents.
• Use extreme caution when operating portable generators. Never use a portable generator (gasoline, diesel, or propane) indoors or in enclosed areas. This can result in carbon monoxide poisoning or death.
• Never use a stove for space heating and never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas. Proper ventilation is necessary for their safe operation; and carbon monoxide fumes emitted can be lethal. Only use appliances indoors that are designed and approved for indoor use.
1. Check caulking around doors and windows
2. Get storm windows in place and secure
3. Check insulation in the attic and basements
4. Seal air leaks around openings where plumbing or electrical wiring goes through walls, floors and ceilings
Take immediate action if you smell gas inside or outside of your home or business. Follow these simple instructions:
• No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate or turn on or off lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones.
• Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
• Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank, if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
• Report the leak. From a neighbor’s home or other building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
• Do not return to the building or area until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
• Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
The Propane Gas Association of New England also offers an interactive online safety module for winter preparedness at www.propanesafety.com/winterstorm-preparedness.
Propane users can find more safety tips online www.pgane.org and www.propanesafety.com.