- Veterans Turn Uniforms Into Paper, ArtPosted 3 days ago
- Polka Variety Dance Draws Big Crowd!Posted 4 days ago
- Ten Commandments Victory In OklahomaPosted 1 month ago
- Poland’s PM Tusk Becomes EU PresidentPosted 2 months ago
- The Worst Five Years Since World War IIPosted 2 months ago
- A Caribbean Polka Party In 2014Posted 3 months ago
- Check Out October Horoscope!Posted 4 months ago
- New! 2015: “Polka Dreams @ Sea” Polka CruisePosted 8 months ago
- Check Out Steven’s 2014 ForecastPosted 10 months ago
Polkas …. In Taiwan!
The morning after the launch of the new “Diva” recording at the IPA Convention on August 2nd, Ania was in her car driving back to Toronto, to catch a plane to Taiwan! Ania and the senior group of the Radość-Joy Vocal Dance Ensemble (of which she is founder and Artistic Director), were heading to the Yilan International Children’s Folklore Festival, where they represented Canada and Poland.
The senior group has performed at numerous festivals in the United States, and has been on three performance tours in Poland. This trip, however, was quite unique. In spite of the oppressive heat and humidity, and the language barrier, Ania and her young people quickly made friends through that International language – music! It was an intense 3 weeks. RJ (Radość-Joy) daily amazed the audiences in the amphitheatre with their energetic dancing, expressive vocals, and swirling and colorful costumes. Ania had the usually laid-back Taiwanese audience clapping, and actually singing the refrain to Cyganeczka in English — and in Polish! Because she was able to move freely among the audiences, she was even able to “coax” audience members to stand up and Polka with her. Showcasing Polish folklore, RJ performed the Krakowiak, Oberek, Rzeszow, Polonaise, Goraliki dances, as well as their signature Gypsy Nights Medley, while Ania sang various Polka medleys. Representing Canada, RJ performed a Canadian medley which included a vibrant line dance, and an authentic Ojibway Indian Ritual dance, while Ania and the Kapela played and sang medleys of Canadian folk songs.
The entourage of 30, returned to Canada exhausted, but grateful for the experience. Currently, RJ is back for another season of rehearsals and performances. Ania has re-released her 1993 recording of children’s songs on CD.
For info on RJ or Ania, please check out: www.radoscjoy.ca www.aniapiwo.com or Radoscjoy on Facebook.