- Check Out July Horoscope!Posted 1 week ago
- Every Summer Has A StoryPosted 1 week ago
- Time To Stand Behind The PolicePosted 1 week ago
- Jimmy Sturr Concert!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Centennial Committee Sponsors Historical TripPosted 3 weeks ago
- First Ever English Language PodcastPosted 4 weeks ago
- Check out the latest “Student Voice”Posted 5 months ago
- Book Authored By Polish Holocaust SurvivorPosted 9 months ago
Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia
Awards $5,000 In Scholarships
PENNSYLVANIA – On Sunday morning, May 5, 2013, enthusiastic members and their families of the Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia gathered at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown, PA for the annual Mass and Scholarship Luncheon.
The church was fully attended. The mass was celebrated by the Reverend Father Marcin. During the beautiful liturgy, scholarship awardees served as lectors and members of the Polish Heritage Society presented the gifts during the offertory. Following the Mass, a delicious lunch of Polish cuisine was served in the cafeteria. After the luncheon, Marie Hejnosz, President of the Polish Heritage Society, welcomed everyone and then introduced Dr. Stephen Medvec, Chairperson of the Scholarship Committee, who recognized this year’s five winners.
Each scholarship recipient received an academic scholarship of $1,000.00 in addition to being presented with flowers.
In photo on right: Left to right: Abigail Sydnes, Paula Kwasniewski (represented her brother Jakub Kwasniewski – not in photo), Monika Juzwiak, Lisa Abramski, Marie Hejnosz – President of PHS, Victoria and Grant Opiatowski, Dr. Stephen Medvec, Scholarship Chair. (Monica Swietlik not in photo).
The five winners are:
• Lisa Abramski, a freshman from Lindenhurst, New York, is studying Medical Technology at Holy Family University in Philadelphia. She will pursue a career in the medical sector. Lisa is active in soccer and in the fall runs the low hurdles for Holy Family University. She works with the youths in the summer.
• Monika Juzwiak, a freshman from Middletown, New Jersey, is studying Accounting at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. Monika was a first runner up in the Miss Polonia contest.
• Jakub Kwasniewski is a senior at Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School in Philadelphia. Jakub is planning to pursue higher education in Mechanical Engineering for a career in sciences. Jakub rows crew for Saint Joseph’s School. In the fall, he plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.
• Monica Swietlik, a junior from Colonia, New Jersey, is pursuing a career in Accounting and Finance at Rider University in Lawrenceville, NJ. Monika was chosen Miss Congeniality in the Miss Polonia contest in New York City. Upon graduating from Rider University in 2014, she plans to go to Wharton for her MBA.
• Abigail (Abby) Sydnes is a senior at Radnor Township School District. Upon graduation, she will enter Temple University in Philadelphia to study electrical engineering. She wishes to pursue a career in robotics, in which she is active in local competitions. She is also an avid golfer.
The Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia is very proud of these students. We wish them all the best in their career pursuits.
Submitted by Jean Joka,
Communications Director for Polish Heritage Society of Philadelphia