- Founder of Modernistics Orch. Passes OnPosted 2 days ago
- Ice Survival TipsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Pulaski’s Birthday To Be CommemoratedPosted 2 weeks ago
- Polka Benefit Honors Lisa Marie BiskupPosted 3 weeks ago
- A Little Known Episode of World War IIPosted 3 weeks ago
- West Point Curator Slanders KosciuszkoPosted 4 weeks ago
- Check Out January Horoscope!Posted 1 month ago
- Steven’s Forecast For 2015Posted 1 month ago
- Getting St. Nicholas RightPosted 1 month ago
- The Chesterton Institute In Poland 2014Posted 1 month ago
Marcella Kochanska-Sembrich Chorus
Takes Top Prize
The Philadelphia-based Marcella Kochanska-Sembrich Female Chorus, No. 321, a member chorus of District 7, Polish Singers Alliance of America (PSAA) placed first in choral competition in the female chorus category as well as earning the highest score in the female chorus category, which entitles the chorus to hold onto the traveling trophy for the next three years!
Polish music and song filled the air in Dearborn and Hamtramck, Michigan, from May 22-25, 2014, during the 50th International Convention of the Polish Singers Alliance of America convention and competition. Fifteen choruses participated in choral competition in the mixed, male and female categories, each chorus singing two choral selections—the compulsory song mandated by the PSAA and one from their own repertoire, approved by the PSAA. If one were to rank all 15 choruses by their scores, the Marcella Kochanska-Sembrich chorus would rank fourth out of 15!
Organized in 1988 as the Paderewski Female Chorus, the chorus changed its name to promote the renown of Polish-born soprano, Marcella Kochanska-Sembrich, who was the reigning coloratura on the Metropolitan opera stage from 1898-1909. Madame Sembrich taught at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia and the Juilliard School of Music, NY. She was considered the greatest coloratura of her day.
New members are always welcome. Chorus rehearsals are held every Monday evening from 7:30-9:30pm at the Associated Polish Home, 9150 Academy Road, in northeast Philadelphia under the direction of the capable and talented music teacher and member of the Fralinger String Band, David Zagorski. Conducting the chorus during the convention competition was the renowned Janusz Sporek, of the Music Education Center, Brooklyn, NY.
For additional information and to join the chorus, kindly contact Dolores Czaplicka at 215-633-0560. For information on PSAA District choruses, contact publicity chair, Barbara Blyskal: EBBlyskal@aol.com.