- Founder of Modernistics Orch. Passes OnPosted 18 hours ago
- Ice Survival TipsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Pulaski’s Birthday To Be CommemoratedPosted 2 weeks ago
- Polka Benefit Honors Lisa Marie BiskupPosted 3 weeks ago
- A Little Known Episode of World War IIPosted 3 weeks ago
- West Point Curator Slanders KosciuszkoPosted 4 weeks ago
- Check Out January Horoscope!Posted 4 weeks ago
- Steven’s Forecast For 2015Posted 1 month ago
- Getting St. Nicholas RightPosted 1 month ago
- The Chesterton Institute In Poland 2014Posted 1 month ago
Liberty Council Files Brief In Support
of Little Sisters of the Poor Against ObamaCare
Washington, DC – Calling the HHS mandate “extortion,” Liberty Counsel filed an amicus brief on behalf of the Little Sisters of the Poor.
“Ignoring the free exercise of religion rights affirmed by the First Amendment and the reaffirmation of those rights in the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), the Administration has enacted regulations that compel employers to choose between their sincerely held religious beliefs and the ObamaCare abortion mandate,” said Mat Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel.
Unlike the requirements of other laws regulating employee benefit programs, the mandate imposed under ObamaCare does not permit employers to discontinue offering health insurance coverage and thereby avoid the mandate and the penalties. The only escape for employers is to go out of business.
“Subjecting employers to such extortion is antithetical to the free exercise of religion,” said Staver.
“President Obama has never told the truth about ObamaCare in general or the abortion mandate in particular,” said Staver. “Religious freedom is not confined to church walls. Those deeply held religious beliefs are the same in the workplace as they are in the sanctuary. How terrible that President Obama is telling Little Sisters of the Poor that in order to continue helping the poor and needy, they have to violate their religious belief about the sanctity of human life and kill innocent children,” concluded Staver.
Liberty Counsel is an international nonprofit litigation, education, and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and the family since 1989, by providing pro bono legal assistance and representation on these and related topics.