- PSSA Celebrates 125th AnniversaryPosted 1 day ago
- Ten Commandments Victory In OklahomaPosted 1 week ago
- Poland’s PM Tusk Becomes EU PresidentPosted 3 weeks ago
- The Worst Five Years Since World War IIPosted 1 month ago
- A Caribbean Polka Party In 2014Posted 2 months ago
- Check Out September Horoscope!Posted 3 months ago
- New! 2015: “Polka Dreams @ Sea” Polka CruisePosted 7 months ago
- Check Out Steven’s 2014 ForecastPosted 9 months ago
Joe Domitrowich In Carmel, CA
The Lugano Swiss Bistro in Carmel, California was jam-packed on Friday July 12. The summer season is upon us and Carmel is a tourist hotspot, drawing visitors from all over the world. It’s always amusing to watch the tourists, dressed in their summer clothes, shivering in the cool coastal weather of Northern California. While the thermometer hits 90 inland and 110 in the California desert, the coastal temperatures will hover in the 60s in the daytime.
On this evening, Joe Domitrowich played his accordion and sang mostly German, Swiss, Italian, and Austrian tunes, catering to groups from each of those countries dining at Lugano. The bistro offers a small dance floor (4 couples) which was well occupied with lively dancers. The evening is defined by the music and camaraderie – it’s not a dance venue. Some of the regulars jump in and sing – Nino sings Italian and Erna sings German – delighting all of us.
Joe had performed at SVEADAL (Swedish American League) in San Jose a couple of weeks prior, along with my brother Jack and many other s at the Swedish League’s lovely outdoor, woodsy setting. This is an annual event that is not to be missed, unless you’re river rafting with your grandchildren, which is where I was.
Brave Combo is one of my favorite groups and I was disappointed to not see them on their tour of Southern California the weekend of July 12. Friends of mine reported that they tore the place up while performing at Stagecoach Park in Carlsbad before an audience of over 4,000.
We’re looking forward to Eddie Roddick, Don Wojtila, and several other Cleveland Slovenian favorites performing at the Slovene Hall in Fontana on August 11.