- PSSA Celebrates 125th AnniversaryPosted 4 weeks ago
- Polka Variety Dinner Dance Set For Oct. 18thPosted 4 weeks ago
- Ten Commandments Victory In OklahomaPosted 1 month ago
- Poland’s PM Tusk Becomes EU PresidentPosted 2 months ago
- The Worst Five Years Since World War IIPosted 2 months ago
- A Caribbean Polka Party In 2014Posted 3 months ago
- Check Out October Horoscope!Posted 4 months ago
- New! 2015: “Polka Dreams @ Sea” Polka CruisePosted 7 months ago
- Check Out Steven’s 2014 ForecastPosted 10 months ago
Household Hazardous Waste Collection April 28th
NEW JERSEY – The Passaic County Office of Solid Waste & Recycling Programs will hold its first Household Hazardous Waste Collection event of the year on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at the Passaic County Para-Transit Facility, 1310 Rt. 23 North, Wayne (behind Ski Barn) from 7:30 am to 2:00 pm, rain or shine. This event is free of charge to Passaic County residents. Businesses may participate for a fee but must call ahead of time to pre-register and to obtain a price quote.
According to Nina Seiden, Passaic County’s Solid Waste & Recycling Programs Administrator, acceptable materials for disposal include pesticides & herbicides, propane tanks, solvents & thinners, varnishes & waxes, household cleaners & corrosives, pool & photographic chemicals, kerosene, mercury switches & thermometers, fire extinguishers, fluorescent bulbs, oil-based paints, used motor oil & oil filters, car batteries, nicad, button cell and rechargeable batteries, and old gasoline & antifreeze.
Materials must be brought in original containers and/or be clearly marked, since the mixing of certain chemicals can be extremely dangerous. Also, any oil, antifreeze or oil and gas mixtures should be brought in disposable containers.
Unacceptable material includes water-based latex paint, medical waste, explosives, radioactive material, smoke detectors, tires, appliances, computers & electronics, and regular household alkali batteries as they no longer contain mercury and are not hazardous. These batteries (AA, AAA, C, D. etc.) may now be disposed of in the regular trash. Latex paint must be dried out and the cans disposed of in the regular trash in dark colored garbage bags.
For further information or for businesses to pre-register, please call the Passaic County Office of Solid Waste & Recycling Programs at 973-305-5738.