- Ten Commandments Victory In OklahomaPosted 3 days ago
- Poland’s PM Tusk Becomes EU PresidentPosted 2 weeks ago
- The Worst Five Years Since World War IIPosted 1 month ago
- A Caribbean Polka Party In 2014Posted 2 months ago
- Check Out September Horoscope!Posted 3 months ago
- New! 2015: “Polka Dreams @ Sea” Polka CruisePosted 6 months ago
- Check Out Steven’s 2014 ForecastPosted 9 months ago
Today’s word is DUNCE – which originates from the Friar called John Duns Scotus who lived in the 13th Century. He was one of the most important and influential philosopher-theologians of the High Middle Ages. His brilliantly complex thoughts earned him the nickname, the “Subtle Doctor”. Around that time, Franciscan Friars preached against the Renaissance from the pulpit. Therefore, they were called dunsmen. The people who disagreed with them referred to them as dunsmen, which was eventually shortened to DUNCE.