- Clifton Centennial T-Shirts!Posted 1 week ago
- Check Out March Horoscope!Posted 3 weeks ago
- 2017 – Year of KosciuszkoPosted 1 month ago
- Clifton Centennial Events!Posted 2 months ago
- Truth About German Nazi CampsPosted 2 months ago
- Nothing’s Impossible Says WisniewskiPosted 4 months ago
- First Ever English Language PodcastPosted 9 months ago
Today’s word is DUNCE – which originates from the Friar called John Duns Scotus who lived in the 13th Century. He was one of the most important and influential philosopher-theologians of the High Middle Ages. His brilliantly complex thoughts earned him the nickname, the “Subtle Doctor”. Around that time, Franciscan Friars preached against the Renaissance from the pulpit. Therefore, they were called dunsmen. The people who disagreed with them referred to them as dunsmen, which was eventually shortened to DUNCE.