- Polkamotion 2015 Was Another Success!Posted 6 days ago
- Saint John Paul II Day!Posted 1 week ago
- Hear Senator Mikulski’s Speech!Posted 1 week ago
- Cherry Coffee CakePosted 1 week ago
- Ambassador Condemns Terrorist AttacksPosted 1 week ago
- Nativity Scene Should StayPosted 1 week ago
- Mikulski, Presidential Medal of Freedom HonoreePosted 1 week ago
- Check Out November Horoscope!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Book Authored By Polish Holocaust SurvivorPosted 3 weeks ago
- 2015 IPA Polka Music AwardsPosted 1 month ago
Congressman Lipinski Helps Pass Bill Naming
Bridge For Polish American Hero Stan Musial
A bill co-sponsored by U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski (IL-3) to call the Interstate 70 bridge over the Mississippi River at St. Louis the “Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge” has passed the House by a 395-2 vote. Rep. Lipinski, co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on Poland, co-sponsored the bill and helped spearhead the effort to name the bridge after the St. Louis Cardinal great and Polish-American legend.
“Stan Musial is the greatest Polish-American player to ever step on a baseball diamond. His exploits on the field and status as the National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame’s first inductee are worthy of our admiration alone. But his deeds off the field, including service to his country and unquestioned character, make him one of America’s greatest heroes and especially deserving of this tribute,” Rep. Lipinski said. “As a lifelong baseball fan and proud Polish-American, I am honored to have helped lead the push to name the I-70 bridge after ‘Stan the Man.'”
The bill now heads to the Senate for expected approval.
Musial died in January at the age of 92. His entire Hall of Fame career was spent playing for the St. Louis Cardinals, where he amassed 3,630 hits, a .331 lifetime batting average and three World Series titles. Musial also was a World War II veteran who served in the U.S. Navy, as well as a Presidential Medal of Freedom winner.
Rep. Lipinski’s congressional district is home to more than 100,000 Polish-Americans.
The I-70 bridge project over the Mississippi River between Illinois and Missouri is expected to be completed in 2014. Construction started in 2010.
– Office of Congressman Lipinski