- First Concert At Chopin Garden In Grant Park!Posted 6 days ago
- Poland’s PM Tusk Becomes EU PresidentPosted 1 week ago
- PAC Calls For U.S. Leadership At NATO SummitPosted 3 weeks ago
- Polish American Family Festival And Country Fair This WeekendPosted 3 weeks ago
- The Worst Five Years Since World War IIPosted 4 weeks ago
- “Our Kids” Fundraiser Set For Sept. 6thPosted 1 month ago
- A Caribbean Polka Party In 2014Posted 1 month ago
- Check Out September Horoscope!Posted 2 months ago
- New! 2015: “Polka Dreams @ Sea” Polka CruisePosted 6 months ago
- Check Out Steven’s 2014 ForecastPosted 8 months ago
Bartoszewski Awarded By U.S. Holocaust Museum
POLAND – 25.04.2013 - Former Auschwitz inmate and Polish foreign minister Wladyslaw Bartoszewski received the Elie Wiesel Award, the highest honour of the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.
Ninety one-year-old Bartoszewski, who currently serves as a secretary of state in the Prime Minister’s Chancellery, was a member of the Council for Aid to Jews (Żegota) during Nazi occupied Poland.
The Washington Museum says he was honored with the Elie Wiesel Award on behalf of all those who rescued Jews from the Holocaust as well as for his prominent role in the development of Polish-Jewish relations.
According to the Polish Embassy in Washington, Mr. Bartoszewski was not able to attend Sunday’s ceremony, where he was due to receive the award, due to ill health.
A pre-recorded address to the participants of the ceremony was shown on video and the award was collected on his behalf by the Polish Minister of Culture and National Heritage Bogdan Zdrojewski.
The Elie Wiesel Award, named after the Holocaust Museum’s founding chairman and the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize winner, will also be presented to Susan Eisenhower, granddaughter of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, on behalf of all World War II veterans.
The two-day event in Washington (Sunday-Monday) marks the 20th anniversary of the Holocaust Museum and brought together many Holocaust survivors as well as recipients of the Righteous among the Nations medals for saving Jews. (mk/pg)
– Polskie Radio