- First Ever English Language PodcastPosted 1 day ago
- Message of Support To PolandPosted 3 days ago
- Check Out June Horoscope!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Rally for U.S. Military Presence In PolandPosted 4 weeks ago
- Clifton Health Dept. Issues Rabies AlertPosted 1 month ago
- Former President Clinton Insults Polish CommunityPosted 1 month ago
- The Flipped ClassroomPosted 2 months ago
- How Ukraine Can ContributePosted 3 months ago
- Polish Singers 65th ConventionPosted 3 months ago
- Check out the latest “Student Voice”Posted 4 months ago
ARTSBEAT and Culture 12-11-13
Wałęsa. Man of Hope at Film Showcase
The Embassy of the Republic of Poland and AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center will present Polish films at the European Union Film Showcase 2013 through December 22. Poland’s 2013 Oscar Entry – Wałęsa. Man of Hope (Wałęsa. Człowiek z nadziei) by Andrzej Wajda will open the festival. Oscar-winning Polish director Andrzej Wajda brings the story of Lech Wałęsa and the Solidarity movement to the big screen.Robert Więckiewicz (In Darkness) portrays Wałęsa, while Agnieszka Grochowska plays his loyal wife, Danuta. The screenplay by Janusz Głowacki hinges on Wałęsa’s landmark 1981 interview, just months before Poland declared martial law, with Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci recounting in flashback the previous decade-and-a-half of activism; Wałęsa would then be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983. Other films will include: Baby Blues (Bejbi Blues, 2012) and Manhunt (Obława, 2012). Full Schedule: www.AFI.com/Silver/EUShowcase; AFI Siver Theater – 8633 Colesville Road Silver Spring, MD.
Symphony Space in partnership with the Polish Cultural Institute New York and WQXR’s Q2 Music will present Witold Lutoslawski: a Centennial Tribute. The program, which will feature a discussion with Steven Stucky and hosted by Symphony Space artistic director Laura Kaminsky, includes Lutoslawski’s Sacher Variation for solo cello, Bukoliki for viola and cello, and String Quartet.. The entire concert will be recorded and streamed live by Q2 Music at www.q2music.org as part of Q2’s Celebrating Poland: Lutoslawski, Penderecki and New Music Now. Friday, December 13, 7:30 pm at Symphony Space – Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theater, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street, New York, NY.
Lira Ensemble Christmas Show
Polish Christmas Carols, Song & Dance will be presented by the Lira Ensemble (Singers, Dancers and Orchestra) in Pittsburgh, PA on Sunday, December 15, 4:00 pm at Carnegie Music Hall, 4400 Forbes Avenue in Pittsburgh, PA. 14-year old pianist Daniel Szefer will be the featured guest performer. For more information: 773-508-7040 www.liraensemble.org